just so you know.
After a lovely, delightful and wonderful dinner with six courses, wine pairing, and the best company you can think of, I woke up to a small child telling me how badly his throat hurt.
Go fucking figure.
Missing five days of work isn't enough, I must miss more. A quick clinic visit later, throat culture to-be-determined, and some short ribs from Whole Foods I'm not going anywhere, for a while.
In my desperation, I made soup.
You will need:
I made soup because what the hell else am I going to do on Super Bowl Sunday in a house that doesn't get the Super Bowl?
1. I bought pre-cubed butternut squash from Trader Joe's. Put that in the oven at 400 degrees with a few cloves of garlic. Bake for no less than 30 minutes, but pull the garlic out at 30 minutes or else it's over down and awful.
2. While the squash is roasting, dice the onion, carrots, and celery (AKA the holy trinity) until soft then toss in the thyme and sage, which should be roughly chopped (you'll want a teaspoon of both, at least).
2. When all that is nice and soft, put in 3 cups of broth and 3 cups of water. Bring to a boil and then simmer.
3. After everything is boiled, put in the squash, the garlic (you won't want the peel), the kale (rough chop), and the white beans.
4. Simmer for a least 20 minutes. Salt and Pepper to taste.
I'm still trying to lose 20 pounds. I am. I ran today, with my beloved hang over. I enjoyed the dinner party more than I ever anticipated. The cocktails, the wine, the food, and the company overwhelmed me. I maintain, even in my drunken state, that I don't like Beyonce.